Wednesday 4 March 2009

Back from Bangkok

I got back from a wonderful 4 day weekend in Bangkok on Tuesday. It was really good to see my Thai friends again :) The last time I saw them was 2 years ago in KL. Jib and Art stayed in my house then, and my mom was very fond of Jib hehe

Much thanks to Jib and Tangmo for their warm hospitality. They came to pick me up at the airport and drove me to the hotel (battled a horrendous 1+ hour traffic jam) then took me out for lunch and made sure we were very well fed throughout our stay in Bangkok.

Food was cheap & tasty and readily available in Bangkok. Roadside stalls were everywhere on almost every street in Bangkok selling all sorts of local fare. The original authentic Tom Yum Kung was tasty and we had it almost every meal LOL. Jib introduced me to Som Tum (Payaya Salad) and I know it doesn't look it in the photo below but it's really yummy and I love it!

hot bowl of seafood Tom Yum Kung

BBQ fish and Som Tum
Over the weekend Jib took us shopping at Platinum Fashion Mall, Siam Square, CentralWorld, MBK and the infamous Chatuchak Market. My luggage was empty when I arrived and was packed to the brim by the time we left ;) Shopping was another enjoyable experience in Bangkok. Malls were aplenty in Bangkok. Budget shopping, designer shops, you name it they have it all in Bangkok.

bootleg tees on sale at Chatuchak for only 100 baht a piece
The other thing I enjoyed was riding the tuk-tuk haha. We made sure we got to ride the tuk-tuk each time we needed to take a cab

tuk-tuk
Jib had taken the day off work on Monday to accompany us (in the extreme hot weather!) to visit the various Buddha shrines - the Grand Palace of the Emerald Buddha, the Sleeping Buddha, 4 Face Buddha. I had no idea there were so many Buddha shrines in Bangkok..

4 Face Buddha

1 comment:

anett said...

wow! I like that monkey design :)