Saturday 9 May 2009

Pricey donuts

Bought a box of half dozen assorted doughnuts from Krispy Kreme today. Considering that the first Krispy Kreme outlet in Malaysia at Berjaya Times Square is only a week old, I was expecting a long queue. Much to my surprise, I queued no longer than 5 mins.


When J.Co Donuts open its first outlet at Pavilion over a year ago, for months the place was perpetually packed. Massive queues became the norm every weekend and I remember when I had to queue 30-40 minutes just to buy a box of J.Co.

At Krispy Kreme, a half dozen of assorted doughnuts cost RM5.30 more than J.Co and Big Apple Donuts. That's pretty costly and if you work it out, the price is about 50% more than their competitor! Why does it cost so much more I wonder? Maybe cos it's the cost of the fully automated machine that produces the doughnuts.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

Great. I just read an article that Lotte got the franchise rights for 35 Krispy Kremes in Mainland China. The deal was announced Oct 2008, now is the hard part; waiting for them to arrive in Beijing!