Sunday 6 July 2008

JUMP DVD review

I watched the Mayday JUMP live DVD last night (finally! I picked it up last month in HK and it was sitting on my shelf for the longest time)

JUMP DVD on sale in HMV HK

(I managed a quick shot of this when the HMV staff weren't looking LOL)

I can't even begin to complain how bad the quality of the DVD is. I'm appalled by the flawed picture and sound. It was almost like watching a 20 year old concert on VCD :P The picture quality is anything but sharp (occasionally grainy) and the colour is BAD!! The colour looked washed out in places - it reminded me of Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan where Spielberg had purposefully create a "washed out" colour effect, giving the feel of amateur photography and realism to a war film. I do not think the flawed picture quality on the Mayday DVD is intentional [though they do share the same war theme as Saving Private Ryan] but rather it reflects the poor quality transfer by B'in Music. Shame on them for putting out such a subpar DVD!! In comparison, the picture quality on Leehom's Heroes of Earth concert DVD was razor sharp - hence it's availability on Blu-ray format.

The audio quality was also poor which isn't much of a surprise given the fact that their previous concert discs featured rather poor soundtrack so I didn't expect this to be any better. Would have been nice if it had DTS. Sigh.. Sometime ago dad told me that Rock Records put out very poor quality DVDs when he saw me watching a Mayday DVD (dad is an audiophile and has a massive collection of movie and concert DVDs)

All I can say is.. forget the DVD.. go watch them live - this disc does not justify their power live performance.

1 comment:

said...

I've bought it in Taipei, I didn't have any audio problem... I've watched it with th HDTV and it turns out quite good :) and the sound too :)