Saturday 18 September 2010

How to make a flag banner

Found some photos during housekeeping and decided I should do fan service by posting them here. A step by step guide to make a flag banner.

Before I begin, an intro to how the flag banner idea came about. It was made in anticipation of seeing Ash at the Bangkok Rock Festival last year - which didn't happen due to the airport closure and protests :( I wanted a really big banner so a conventional board is out of the question. That's when I came up with the idea to make a flag banner. I was too cheap to explore the idea of having it professionally made so I opted for DIY.

How hard can it be to cut and stitch a few pieces of cloth together? Not at all. But it is a rather arduous and meticulous time consuming process.

Step by step
After identifying the size and image, the next thing is to transfer the image onto paper. I didn't have large sized paper at home so I had my image transferred onto a collage of A4 papers taped together haha. I know it looks sloppy but hey it gets the job done.

on my bathroom door - guess how many A4 papers were used in this collage

Thereafter I had the image cut on a white cloth using the paper cutting from above


The next step was sewing the white cloth onto the flag, which took me hours and hours because I did not have a sewing machine. LOL. Yes, I stitched them completely by hand @_@


And after 12 hours of labour - here's how it turned out. Measuring more than 5 feet across !

I had a Mayday one made as well after the Ash one, but it was nowhere as big

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that looks great! good job! ^^

Unknown said...

thanks =]

Anonymous said...

You're good! :)

Unknown said...

thanks :)