Monday 29 September 2008

Do you like Taiwanese food?

There's a Taiwanese food restaurant at the Gardens that's perpetually packed with patrons both inside and outside (neverending Q even on weekday) Fong Lye Taiwan Restaurant is located on the top level of the Gardens near Borders and Crystal Jade restaurant.

Fong Lye Taiwan Restaurant at Midvalley
I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Taiwanese food - I'm not too crazy about deep fried pork innards and stinky tofu but I do like Taiwanese pork intestines flour noodles (mee sua) and "tao suan" dessert. Fong Lye serves pork intestines mee sua though it's nowhere as good as the infamous Ay-Chung mee sua in Taipei.

pork intestine mee sua at Fong Lye
Sadly, "tao suan" is not on the menu. About 3 years ago in Kaohsiung, after visiting a temple I remember stopping by to buy some "tao suan" from the local market and it was the yummiest tao suan I've ever tasted! My dad and my aunts are tao suan fans LOL and I remember dad would always make a stop at Chinatown's People's Park food court whenever we're in SG to get his tao suan fix. It's one of those Hokkien dessert that you can't find in KL for some reason though I'm told you can get tao suan now at Midvalley's food court.

had this bowl of not-so-yummy tao suan at IMM's foodcourt after the Ashin book signing
The food at Fong Lye restaurant is a little pricey - a bowl of noodles would easily set you back by almost RM20 and the sets with the steamboat are between RM27-30 though the portions are fairly big. Restaurant service is quick and efficient but the drinks are expensive! Milk tea costs RM7.30 (nope they are not refillable even at that price) - the cheapest drink on the menu is the mineral water which costs RM3.30

hmm.. did we order too much food?
yummy sausage


No comments: