Friday 26 December 2008

Cape No. 7


The movie Cape No. 7 which was released in Taiwan in late August this year has finally reached our shores. For a movie this successful, I wonder why its release outside Taiwan is so late.

I managed to catch it onboard when I flew to Taipei - my flight was overbooked and I got an upgrade to business class so I got to watch it on a personal not-so-small TV screen :)

Cape No. 7 has been really successful in its native country. It won six awards at the 2008 Golden Horse Awards and became Taiwan's second top grossing film in the country's cinematic history.

I enjoyed the film, particularly the music but found the film a tad bit overrated. The film is set in a rural town with more than half of in Taiwanese dialect and sadly, I find the chemistry between the male [Aga played by Van Fan] and female protagonist [Tomoko played by Chie Tanaka] lacking but the good music more than make up for it.

No comments: