Sunday 7 December 2008

Copycat Coldplay

Coldplay was one of those few bands that I 'discovered' even before they became world famous and released their first album (thanks to Jo Whiley on Radio 1 BBC who kept playing their first few singles from their debut album "Parachutes" on the airwaves) Over the years, as they became increasingly popular in the States, I found myself liking their music less and less. I liked the debut and sophomore album, but X & Y was a complete snoozefest.

Not only has their music been labelled as music for gays and bedwetters, they have also been accused of plagiarism by 2 diferent artistes on the same album [Viva La Vida] A couple of months back, a Brooklyn indie band, Creaky Boards accused the band of ripping the melody from one of their songs and just 2 days ago, guitar legend Joe Santriani has filed a copyright infringement suit against Coldplay for allegedly plagiarising his 2004 instrumental 'If I Could Fly'.
"Do you know how I know that you're gay? Coz you listen to
Coldplay" - from the movie The 40-year Old Virgin

No comments: